Thursday, June 18, 2015

Good time to go floundering 5/16/2015

Went fishing again yesterday and glad I did. Started out by setting my minnow trap. While waiting for minnows, I ran the shoreline looking for crabs.  In an hours time I caught 36 hard crabs, 8 peelers, and 3 nice soft crabs. Wow, the crabbing is good! The water in the little Assawoman was 83 degrees. Went and retrieved my minnow trap and again had some of nicest minnows I've caught in years. When I went to pick up my trap, I saw a school of Red Drum up in the shallows. They better not be eating my crabs, but I'm sure they are.

Headed south and the Blue Fish were again schooled up around the Route 90 Bridge, birds working heavy, Stopped and caught 2, kept 1 to use as flounder bait. Cut up in strips like you do squid.  I like to use a piece about an inch long on a plain hook, no jewelry, no beads, just bare. I've caught flounder like that when nothing else works. I've fished in Northern Jersey a couple of times and all they use is Mackerel strips and it works.

Ventured south to the OC Airport and the water was clear, but a little chilly at 65 degrees. Something must have been right because in 2 hours I caught 10 flounder with the biggest at 22"s.  Had a real nice fish beside the boat when my reel fell off the rod and I lost him.  This only happens to me, right?!  Oh well. Out of the 10, 3 were keepers and the rest were small.  Released all but one which made for a fine dinner last night with the soft and hard crabs.

As usual the wind started howling and the fish stopped biting.  Good time to go floundering!  Just remember keep that bait on the bottom.  That's why I don't like to use the conventional top/bottom rig.  If you don't let a lot of line out on them the top hook isn't as effective. The new 2 hook rig that I made and I've been using, so far is working.  I'm  catching as many on the top as I am on the bottom. The sinker is out front with the hooks trailing, There's a picture on my blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment