Monday, June 15, 2015

Flounder are bitin' 6/12/2015

Boy what a hot one it was.  So I thought "Wouldn't it be great to go and bake in the sun?".  It was still a great day to be out on the water.  Crabbed in my usual spots and caught a couple dozen pretty hard crabs and six peelers.  Ventured south and set out my minnow trap in the canal just north of the route 90 bridge on the east side. By the time I cut up a box of squid, I had a trap full of the largest minnows that I've ever seen. Well, if the fish aren't biting, I'll just filet the minnows up. Ha ha!

Headed south where south of the route 90 bridge the birds were working over a school of Blue Fish. Stopped, caught a bunch, and released them to fight another day. They were anywhere from 3 to 5 lbs and a lot of fun to catch on my light St Croix rods. The tide was high and getting ready to change so I anchored up in the OC Inlet and caught a 31" Striper on peelers.  Released it and lost a second fish.

After the tide starting running too fast in the Inlet to fish, I ran down behind the OC Airport where I caught and released 4 Flounder, They were all too small, but it was nice to see the water was finally getting right for Flounder. The surface down there was churned up with skates.

I caught all the Flounder on a new rig that I've been building. There's a picture on the blog if you are interested. I sell them for 2/$5.  Drop me a line through the Crafty Crabs link or here on the blog and I'll send them out. Just let me know what color hair and what size trolling weight. I set them up with a minnow/shiner and a long piece of squid on each hook.  Jig it up and down off the bottom and it looks like two bait fish following each other and won't tangle like typical top/bottom rigs.


When I got home that afternoon, we steamed up the crabs.  Man, they were full and delicious.

No comments:

Post a Comment