Friday, July 17, 2015

Good time to crab 7/17/2015

Where has summer gone?  Its hard to believe its almost over.  Fished and crabbed Sunday, Monday, and Tuesday.  The weather was outstanding as well as the fishing and crabbing. The water temperature was 87 degrees in the Little Assawoman Bay and loaded with crabs.  I caught over 100 Sunday and Monday in the Assawoman Bay.  Tuesday, I crabbed the Sinapuxent Bay and caught another 85. These crabs are the biggest and fattest I've seen in years and mighty tasty.

There were people in the little Assawoman pulling their kids on tubes and the bay is polluted with Sea Nettles, I don't know how they do it.  Those kids braver than me or else the parents just like to hear their kids whine.  Usually, this time of year, there are a lot of Clear and Cownose Rays in the bay, but I've seen very few. It also appears that the Red Drum are not there as well.  They were around a month ago.  The water may have gotten too warm.  There's sure a lot of small crabs for them to eat.  Talked to a fellow I typically see out there crabbing.  He uses snatch traps and he told me he's catching Blowfish, Croakers, and Spot in his traps while crabbing. Must be hungry.  Maybe I should be using chicken for bait.

Fished on the Southside all 3 days and caught at least 50 Croakers, 20 small Seabass, and 15 Flounder.  It was hard to find a keeper Flounder, but I was catching Croakers in the 10" to 14" range.
There weren't a lot of people fishing,  I was amazed that even on Sunday they weren't out there.

Well, the boat is loaded and the tide is going to be high this afternoon.  I'm heading out to try Sheephead fishing, I've caught citation size Sheephead the last three years in the Inlet, so I've got to do it again this year.  That's a fighting fish!  Especially with the light tackle that I use. Let you know how it goes. Also heard there was a Manatee in the bay near the Coast Guard Station and need to get a picture.

No comments:

Post a Comment