Monday, April 13, 2015

First OC tog of 2015

Another windy day on Delmarva. Went fishing today.  It was a beautiful morning.  No wind at all. Water temperature in Bishopville was 62 degrees.  Nice. Ventured south and still saw a lot of crab pots. As I passed Ocean Pines there was a crabber working his pots. Still couldn't buy any Green Crabs so I thought, why not Blue Crabs?  They have always worked in the fall.  When I approached the fellow I asked if he would sell me a few.  He said "No, but I'll give you a couple.", What a great guy. I questioned him on how he was doing, and he stated everyone else was doing great but not so much for himself. He did say the crabs he was catching were nice and he was getting $120 a bushel.

As I left the Thoroughfare, the water temperature was a balmy 54 degrees.  Really surprised that nobody was flounder fishing, but it was Monday morning. Headed to south side of the OC inlet and set out anchor in 25 foot of water. The water was crystal clear and 46 degrees. Using cut Blue Crab for bait, I caught my first tog of the year.  A 15" male.  Yeah! It's fishing season!

Capt. Monty from the "Morning Star" headed offshore with a barge full of concrete piping. I  presume it was to dump for habitat  reconstruction. Capt. Monty and the "Morning Star" are a great asset for fishing, conserving and enhancing our ecosystem. If you would like a very enjoyable day of fishing, as I have many times, give him a call.  You won't be disappointed  He also puts out an awesome newsletter/fishing report that is very impressive. Well that was the extent of my morning as the wind started blowing hard out of the south, but it made for a nice ride back to Delaware.

1 comment:

  1. I hope this year I'll get to go fishing on the Morning Star!

    ReplyDelete